According to the UK Government’s proposal, EU nationals who do not reside in the United Kingdom or Ireland would be required to apply for pre-travel permission in order to cross the border.
Tourism officials have issued a strong warning about proposals to implement a permit system for crossing the Northern Irish border with the Republic of Ireland.
According to the idea, all EU nationals who are not from the United Kingdom or Ireland would be required to apply for pre-travel permission.
The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system, which was unveiled last year as part of the Nationality and Borders Bill, is intended to be similar to the system used by travelers to the United States, in which they must fill out a form in advance of their journey.
Leading players from the tourist sector spoke before the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee on Wednesday morning in relation to the subject matter at hand.
As the chief executive of the Northern Ireland Tourism Alliance, Joanne Stewart referred to the Republic of Ireland as the “primary gateway” for international visitors traveling to Northern Ireland from other parts of Europe.
Approximately half a million tourists, as well as £160 million in visitor spending, are expected to be impacted by the planned project, according to her.
She also expressed concern that it might have an effect on Northern Ireland’s ability to compete for large business conferences in the future.
In her statement, Ms Stewart said that the sector has been “scrabbling” for details on the new program.
MPs were informed that “there has been absolutely no engagement at all with business or with ourselves” on the introduction of the ETA and its effect on Northern Ireland, according to the minister.
“There has been no interaction; I have asked a number of questions in an attempt to get clarity, but we have received no information… One of the most concerning aspects is that it appears to be a single-entry ETA, which, given the nature of the border and the number of times you can cross it on a single trip, would be unworkable, completely impractical, and could result in significant financial hardship for tourists traveling across the island if implemented… “People want to travel without having to deal with any problems.”
She said that during the coronavirus epidemic, several tour operators in Northern Ireland were forced to cancel portions of their itineraries owing to the many testing and documentation procedures associated with the virus.
“We’ve seen the devastation that can occur when there isn’t a consistent level of alignment throughout the island,” she added.
Shane Clarke, director of corporate services, policy, and Northern Ireland at Tourism Ireland, confirmed that the project had not been subjected to any kind of public engagement.
This is an industry that has been on its knees over the past two years as a result of Covid, and they can’t really believe that this sort of legislation is being introduced,” he told MPs, saying it might prevent prospective tourists from coming to the country.
“They are hoping for positive news, not for obstacles and uncertainty to be placed in their path…
Not only did the introduction of these types of additional requirements increase complexity and potential costs, but it also created a barrier in terms of potential visitors from close to home who now have a plethora of other places to visit instead of the island of Ireland and Northern Ireland, which will limit their ability to visit the island of Ireland and Northern Ireland.”
He said that almost a billion euros has been expended since 2002 in promoting the island as one that is unrestricted and simple to navigate.
Kevin Foster, the Minister of Immigration, testified before the committee as well.
Simon Hoare, the chairman of the committee, stated that he had received figures on the number of prosecutions for illegal entry into the United Kingdom through the Irish border, which showed that there had been only three in 2017, five in 2018, 32 in 2019, two in 2020, 15 in 2021, and two in 2022 so far, according to the figures.
He inquired as to what the “nut you are attempting to crack” was.
Mr Foster cited comparable programs in other parts of the globe, and he cited increased border security and improved customer service as grounds for the program’s implementation.
He stressed that the pre-travel clearance would not be a “onerous” requirement, and he estimated that it would cost around £10 and would be good for more than a year, as well as for many travels in the future.
The minister further hinted that it might begin operations in 2025 and claimed to have been “positive discussions” with the Irish government on long-term inhabitants of Ireland.